To be eligible to apply to MOSTEC, applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- High school juniors or equivalent
Students selected for MOSTEC generally have the following qualities:
- Passion for science, technology, engineering and math
- This can be demonstrated through extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation
- Strong academic record
We strongly encourage students from the following backgrounds to apply:
- Underrepresented in science and engineering, defined as being African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native American
- Underserved, defined as coming from low socioeconomic means, which may be indicated by qualification for free/reduced lunch
- Potentially the first family member to attend college
- Absence of science and engineering degrees in family
- Coming from a high school with low admittance rates to top-tier colleges, especially rural or predominantly minority high schools
All applicants who meet the eligibility requirements will be considered, regardless of race or ethnicity.
Join us at an event to learn more!
MOSTEC overview and live Q&A with Alumni
During this interactive event, you'll learn more about the MOSTEC program and hear from MOSTEC alumni about their experiences. You'll have an opportunity to ask questions as well!
- JANUARY 12 @ 8 pm EST → Register here
MOSTEC Educator info session
During this interactive session for teachers, school counselors, and education administrators, you will learn about the MOSTEC program offered by MIT. We encourage you to attend if you aren't familiar with MOSTEC and would like to share info with your students.
- JANUARY 7 @ 8 pm EST → Register here
MOSTEC Application Office Hours
Do you have questions about the MOSTEC application? Join us during office hours to get them answered by some of our staff! If you don't have any questions but just want to carve out time in your schedule to work alongside others in a virtual space, you can do that too! You can join at any point during this hour.
- DECEMBER 16 @ 3-4 pm EST Register here
- DECEMBER 17 @ 6-7 pm EST Register here
- JANUARY 12 @ 3-4 pm EST Register here
- JANUARY 21 @ 6-7 pm EST Register here
- JANUARY 27 @ 8-9 pm EST Register here
We all have a unique story to tell and during this event, applicants will learn from MIT OEOP staff members how to craft your story in response to the short answer questions on the MOSTEC application. Please join us if you want to knock those short answer questions out of the park and strengthen your application!
- JANUARY 14 @ 7 pm EST Register here